TRY TO COOK YOUR BREAKFAST COSTA RICAN STYLE!
If you have visited our restaurant you have probably tasted the traditional Costa Rican breakfast: GALLO PINTO. If not, then you’re missing out on something very good!
Gallo Pinto is so famous that is served in many Costa Rican restaurants…it doesn´t matter if it is an elegant or simple restaurant. Even Mac Donald´s has it on its menu!
Most locals eat Gallo Pinto for breakfast, but it is delicious to eat it at any time of the day.
Although there may be some variations, we have found the perfect combination to be rice and black beans well-seasoned with onion, sweet red pepper, cilantro and Salsa Lizano, accompanied with fried sweet plantains, eggs, tortillas and fresh cheese. It will leave you speechless!!!
Salsa Lizano is a very important sauce here in Costa Rica – Being made here it is a staple at any table, used in many traditional dishes. It has a very unique, slightly spicy flavor with hints of garlic and cumin.
But what if you try to prepare this recipe in your own home? Here we share a recipe very easy to prepare. Then you can tell us how it turned out!
INGREDIENTS OF GALLO PINTO:
2 cups of cooked white short grain rice
1 cups of cooked black beans
1/2 cups of Salsa Lizano (Optional but very important ingredient. You can already find this sauce in different stores in the United States)
1/3 a red pepper
1/3 an onion
1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
PREPARATION OF GALLO PINTO:
1. Saute the onions, pepper, garlic in a large pan
2. Add the cooked beans and the Salsa Lizano
3. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes
4. Stir in the cooked rice
5. Simmer on very low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until all excess liquid is absorbed
6. Fold in the fresh cut cilantro
7. Serve warm and add the accompaniments you want (eggs, cheese, sour cream, fried plantains, etc.)